Friday, July 20, 2007

Another e-mail driven post

I get a e-newsletter every month or so from Mark Cahill and I thought I'd share a bit of it. If you don't know Mark Cahill is the author of the book THE ONE THING YOU CAN'T DO IN HEAVEN which is a great read. Anyway it was about prayer called DON'T PRAY, OBEY. Here is some snipets from the e-mail: "I want to warn you about praying with an agenda. Many times we take our agenda into a prayer and want and expect God to bless it and we think we hear from God but we may have really heard what we want to hear from ourselves. What would be one way to test what we feel we have heard from God? The greatest way is to make sure any answer that God gives you is not contrary to His word. It will line up with what the bible says."

Some examples: "What if I say that God is leading me to be one who doesn't share his faith but just encourages others to do it, or to pay for missionaries to do it?" Mark 16:15 says " Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." "See I really don't need to pray about sharing my faith, I rerally just need to obey."

"What if I am feeling led to lie about a situation, and I am feeling like it is the right thing to do to make things right? What if I even pray about it, and think this is where God is leading? Well you better check that against His word." Exodus 20:16 says, "Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." "Lying is not an option that God leaves open to us."

You can read the whole thing at www.markcahill.org. I can say that I think at some point or another we are all guilty of doing this. This is another fine example of why we need to DAILY read God's word and get consumed with Him.

0 comments: