Friday, May 29, 2009

FUMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something is happening today that hasn't happened to me in over 15 years, I'm going for a job interview. Now its been a long time between these and I'll be honest with you I'm a bit nervous, am I going to say the right things, how will I look, am I what this company is looking for, and the one question that drives me crazy - "What can you bring to our company that we don't have?" or something to that effect. It has been almost 5 months since I was laid off and this is the first interview obviously that I've had. Most places I go to I get the same "We're not hiring right now" thing and occasionally I'll get a little boost of confidence when they ask me to fill out an application to go along with my resume, that has happened 3 or 4 times and for me that makes me feel a little better about the place I'm at. Now getting called for the interview really boosts my morale and even if nothing happens with this place it lets me know that there is still hope, which by the way I still know that God has a plan for me and it's not my time that this will unfold but in His time.

Now you maybe asking yourself why did he name this post FUMBLE, well your in luck, I'll tell ya. I'm a big sports fan and I was thinking yesterday and last night about how things happen and I thought I'd put it to a little sports annology. Sometimes in life things happen and the ball gets rolling in different areas and I drop the ball,.
Example: Heres the snap, handoff to Chalfant in the back field, FUMBLE.
Sometimes I don't even get the ball to take off with it before I lose it. Other times its:
Example: Hand off to Chalfant, hits the hole, cuts back to the inside FUMBLE.
Sometimes I get the ball and start to run with it and lose my grip as I'm going and lose it.
And then theres this:
Hand off to Chalfant and he breaks through the line, down the sideline he goes 20, 15, 10, 5 and he FUMBLES before the goal line.
Sometimes I get a good "run" going and lose my focus or get relaxed and cruise and lose it. But everyonce in a while I take that ball and go in for the score and those are the cool times.
I've felt in the past few weeks that I've been FUMBLING quite a bit at different things whether it be in conversations, relationships or in everyday living, being forgetful or unassertive and passive or just plain being a screw up. I know there is a work in progress here and that those fumbles will soon turn into touchdowns on a regular basis. Man I'm ready for some football now.

6 comments:

Mommy pfohl said...

I am very much praying for your interview! Hope to hear good news for you! :)

Sue said...

I love your football analogy, of course! LOL I can relate to it in my own life...at work...with relationships, both friends and family...in my Christian walk. I never thought about it in terms of fumbles before. Thanks! Takes on a whole new meaning.

Will pray for your interview too. At least we know that God never fumbles, huh? We may not understand the play, but He knows what he is doing.

Praying for God's will for you in this. Hope it went well!

PS I am ready for some football too!!!

Kris Sorensen said...

So ready for football myself.

Seems to me that Peter had butter fingers for a good majority of the time he was walking with Christ. But then something happened: after praying fervently the Holy Spirit shows up, hands Peter the ball, and the dude is spiking the ball in the end zone on Satan's head.

"Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day." Acts 2:41

I believe in you. More importantly, I believe God is in you.

Unknown said...

Dad and I are behind you 100% and could not be prouder of the man you have become. I know you love the Lord and I know He loves you. So have a quiet/gentle spirit and He will lead you. Mom

Tommy Phelps said...

Gods got you in His play book Derek. And I've got you in my prayers as well. Get ready to run across that goal line! :) Tommy

Derek Chalfant said...

Thanks to all for the encouragement, it means alot to me. I now have a new mental picture thanks to PK with the spike the ball on Satan's head, I like that.