Tuesday, April 3, 2007

April 3, 1974


If you were alive back then and living in the Farmland-Parker area you will know what I am talking about, of course the picture gives it away. This pic I found online is taken by Mick Deckman I believe and is coming out of Parker towards Farmland. I was 5 when this happened and I remember I had just gotten back from going up to the old Shell station at the corner of 1 and 32, don't look for it now its a gravel lot, to get mom a carton of Coke. Would you let a 5 year old today go a couple blocks from home to run an erand? My how times have changed. I got back and we went to the school to walk my brother home. Got home watching probably Match Game when they broke in with a tornado warning for Randolph County. Mom told us to grab the couch cushions and go to the tub and I remember thinking why? Then we looked out the front door and saw this huge spinning cloud, I had no idea what it was but it was coming towards us and Mom was getting antsy. Funny thing was my uncle who lived on State road 1 just a block in front of us came booking across the empty lot in front of our house with dog in hand, I don't think his feet ever came in contact with the ground.

Just stood there watching it and still wondering what was going on as it was heading straight for us when it turned north at 900W and took off that way. All the destruction was massive with stuff everywhere. School was cancelled for a few days and it took awhile to get things back to normal. There was a huge outbreak of tornados that day and one lady lost her life in the one we had. It was amazing that more people weren't seriously injured that day.

On a more positive note MLB started yesterday, I love spring, and got to enjoy a few games. Opening day was always the day I skipped school, Mom and Dad approved of it we could skip 1 day a year, and sat at home watching baseball. Of course we only had 1 maybe 2 games on TV but I didn't care. Now they are on daily with multiple options. I say we get a group up to go to Indy or Cincy and catch a game, who's in?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That must be were your fascination with storms comes from, huh? I can't imagine just standing there and watching it come towards me - I'd be running for the bathtub with my cushions.

Derek Chalfant said...

Yeah, I'm kinda crazy like that. Bring on the big storms today.

bryan vickery said...

Huh... what... did someone say baseball? zzzzzz... wake me when someone scores a run. ;)