Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Didn't see that coming.

Yesterday started out like any normal day, getting up getting ready and head to work early cause I saw the radar and didn't want to get stuck driving in the freezing rain, made it there a half hour early and settled in getting things ready for the new year, all my reports and things I track and keep watch of. Around 10 the president of the company comes down and goes in my bosses office and shuts the door for a little meeting. A little bit later he leaves and the door is still shut so I don't think much about it. Had a little conversation with a couple of the other people in the office and word was getting around that they were going to lay off 22 people today. Still not thinking much about it, see my boss leave with one of the other guys in our office who was in charge of the quality lab so I think one of the guys from the lab, who misses quite a bit of work, is probably going to get it in our area. He did and so did the guy who runs the lab, didn't see that coming.

Fast forward to after lunch my boss gets called up to the office and about 10 minutes later he gave me a call asking me to come up there. Now I'm starting to think about it, get up there and he pulls me to the side and says that he wanted me to know that he had no say in this and it is out of his hands and apologizes to me. We go in and I have also been selected to be one of the people that is getting laid off, didn't see that coming at all. So we have the little meeting and I think that the lady doing the talking and my boss actually took it harder than I did. I just had this calming sense that when one door closes another one is going to open and that God does not leave us and that he provides for us so I know He has something out there that He would rather me do. I just pray for obedience and that I can plainly see where and what He is leading me towards. Yes its a bit scary right now to think of not having my income coming in after next Friday but I just know that we are gonna be o.k.

6 comments:

This is Me... said...

I've been there too and know just how you feel. Maybe this is your big break and all of us little people will be able to say "we knew him when"! Seriously thought, we are praying for you and the family, I know it's hard to think about all the logistical stuff...but you are right - God doesn't leave us and he has a glorious plan for you. Hang in there!

Kris Sorensen said...

Sorry to read about this. Let me just say though, your faith blows me away! I will be praying for you.

Chuck Chalfant said...

i'm with Kris and Angel - your faith is amazing! We're praying for you guys. if you need a little warmer weather beach therapy, you've got a place to stay in VA.

Kate said...

We'll be praying for you and your family.

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you and the man you have become. God has big plans for you and will NEVER leave you out there on your own. Our prayers are with you for leading. Mom

Sue said...

Derek,
Just now saw this post. Jim and I will be praying for you and your family too. I am so glad you have "the peace that passes all understanding" through it all. I just missed a lay off and there are rumblings of another one, but, "we know who holds tomorrow and we know who holds our hand"!