Friday, August 3, 2007

Temptation comes my way

Not only is "Temptation comes my way" the theme for today it is also the title of a cool song by a band called THE SHOWDOWN. Anyway back to the blog.
The following is a little something I have been thinking about lately, temptation. We all face it at some point, some every once in a while, some daily, and others what seems like every hour. We know that there is a way out each time we are tempted and that God will not tempt us. James 1:13-15 states: And remember, no one who wants to do wrong should ever say "God is tempting me." God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else either. 14 Temtation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. 15. These evil desires lead us to evil actions, and evil actions lead us to death. In other words temptation leads to sin, and sin leads to death.

I was thinking of something, now imagine with me if you will that God and satan are sitting down having a cup of coffee and this could be the conversation that they are having:

Satan: Hey God I think I can get old BillyBob Whatshisname in Nowhereville, Indiana on something.
God: I don't think so, he's mine you know.
S: Yeah yeah yeah whatever, but check this out. I know that when he "gave his life to you" that he dropped that addiction that he had forever. I can get him hooked on that again.
G: Try if you like but I think your wasting your time again.
S: OK here goes. (Insert addiction here and imagine the fellow is faced with it)
G: I'm not seeing anything yet.
S: Wait for it, it's coming.
G: Still waiting, your wasting your time you know.
S: Lets kick it up a few notches here, he'll never be able to resist this.
G: Just stay within the rules.
S: Oh yeah he'll never be able to walk away from this.
G: Hang on a second, I'm getting a call. (Walks away from the table to take the call)
(God now enters back and sits down with a smile on his face)
G: So how is it going down there?
S: I don't understand it, how can he jsut walk away from that, he never could resist it. I mean I threw everything I could at him and nothing, he just stood there silent for a minute and then walked away. (Light bulb goes off in satan's head) Wait a minute who was that call from?
G: It was him, I gave him a way out. I told you that you were wasting your time but thanks for playing though.
S: You might have won this one but I'll be back. There has got to be a country music concert around here somewhere, I know I can win there. (Descends back to where he belongs)

I know its a little silly but I kind of imagine it happening something like that. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says : Remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience and God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give into it.


When you feel tempted run towards God and the way he has for you.

One last thing check out Steven Furtick's blog from yesterday at the side bar here, what a great post.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek great lesson (copied the verse for later) but I must say that you all will be suprised when you get to heaven and see Jesus with his Cowboy hat and boots singing a country song. :)

Monica

Anonymous said...

I agree - great post, but you lost some credibility with the country music slam. :-)

Derek Chalfant said...

I stratigically placed that comment in there to drive home a point, that point is that country music is most certainly hell on earth. ;}

Anonymous said...

Some of it, yes...but not all. That could also be said of some other types of music...to each their own opinion...and I'll leave it at that. :-)