Thursday, August 30, 2007

I'm back

Finally The Chalfants have come back to Farmland.

First off I want to say a big THANK YOU for those who came to the funeral home, those who prayed for us, those who stopped us and gave words of encourgement, and those who just thought of us for a second. It has been an emotional rollercoaster for the last week, some days better than others and some moments better than others. It is hard for me to see my wife sad and upset and not having all the answers or right words to say. I was pretty good at the funeral down south until the part at the end of the service when the dismiss people row by row and they come up to the casket and then turn around to the family and say something. It wasn't that hard for me until they started with the family section, then when I went up there and the first person I saw was her brother then it got real hard.

Funerals down south are totally different then up here even the burials, we were allowed and actually encouraged to hang around as they put the casket in the box and lowered it in the ground and covered it up and then put all the flowers on the grave, kind of one final moment.

Tennessee is a very pretty state with all the mountains and valleys and such but I still don't like the roads with the curves up and down the mountain and how a 2 mile drive takes 15 minutes with all the curves and such but the people down there are just awesome. So friendly and courteous and polite no matter where you go. More on the events of the trip later.

The trip home was one of those that seemed like it would never end, and at the time I had gotten pretty mad and ticked off traveling the interstate leading the way with my 15 year old nephew behind and his dad and Tammy's dad behind them. Had to keep the speed in check so it took a little longer than a stop at a Bass Pro Shop store and the trying to find the store delay with wrong exits and at that time I was the one following the other 2 cars but at the end of the day we heard that there was a bad wreck on 65 with big delays both ways that we missed because of all of the delays and such, God works is mysterious ways that at the time I had no idea but now I look back and understand. Got home at 11:30 last night and got to sleep in my own bed. What a feeling.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are all back home safely. You've all been in our prayers daily and will continue to be as there are more hills on the rollercoaster yet. Now comes the time to adjust to living without someone in your life you've always had. Just know that the family is being kept in prayer and that God will provide you with the words and actions to help Tammy through this...and we're here to help whenever and whereever needed!