Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hands



Have you ever just sat and looked at your hands and think about all that they do for you and all that you have done with them? Some things good and some things not so good. I've had these hands since I was born. They started out small and weak and have grown into what they are today. I look at them and think of all that they have done over my almost 40 years of living here on this place we call earth. Even though I can't remember specifics of playing as a child I do know that they played with alot of toys as a child (matchboxes and hot wheels were always a big hit), played sports (baseball, basketball and football were always favorites) sometimes in a team setting and sometimes all by myself, do you know how hard it is to play pass with a football by yourself? When I got older they have helped my with my job whether it was flipping burgers at Mickey D's or bagging groceries at the Thrift E' or measuring parts at Twoson Tool. And as you can tell be looking at me they have help keep me well fed over the years. Sometimes the did stuff that they shouldn't have like taking something that wasn't mine, buying stuff that I didn't need, trying to inflict physical pain on someone (which didn't happen very often) or letting someone know that I thought they were number 1 in my book at angry times.


As I got older they were joined with the love of my life Tammy and they will always be joined with her. They have held her in times of sadness and in good times, comforted her, protected her, help pick her up when she was down, congratulated her, help guide her, got us to points of recreation and relaxation and have just been there for her. They have held both of our children, comforted and calmed them when they were scared, cheered for them, picked them up when they were learning to walk and or fell down, help teach them, disciplined them when they needed it, protected them, and help guide them as best they can. There is probably more that they have done for them over the past 13 years. People who read your hands say that we have life lines but I think of them more as rings on a tree that tells how old a tree is and more of stories because you know they could tell some stories.


They are even used for and by God doing his work, playing on the worship team (sometimes playing stuff that sounds good and sometimes hitting a wrong chord), doing some work at the radio station getting things on the air and working through broadcasts and keeping the music going. They are used for prayer, turning pages when I'm reading the bible, raised in praise, and reaching out to those in need. Some times unfortunately they are held down and back because of fear, pride and lack of confidence.


These hands however neve did any of the bad things that mine have done nor were they ever afraid to help the least of these when I find it easy to turn the other way, these hands helped them. They even took my place on the cross. To quote some song lyrics "They were pierced for my transgressions, crushed for my sins" and they did it all of that out of love for me so that one day I can join with His hands.

1 comments:

Coby said...

that was an awesome post.