Monday, May 19, 2008

Why are the weekends so short?

Is it just me or do the weekends seem to be the quickest 2 days of the week? It seems like just yesterday it was Friday now its Monday,wierd. Saturday was fun, walked around town with a couple of friends of ours going to some of the rummages going on in town, then off to the grocery and even had time to stop by the Moose and grab a diet cherry coke. Off to small group where we dug into the book of James. James is only 5 chapters long but it sure does pack a powerful punch. We got through the first 2 chapters and I am ready for the rest now. Nice relaxing evening at home with the girls, Tyson spent the weekend basically at a friends house, fell asleep on the couch a couple of times during the NASCAR all-star race oh well. It did storm just a bit late Saturday early Sunday which was cool, I am so ready for a big ole boomin' storm to come blowing in.

Sunday was good with another great message on being RISKY, not risque' but taking risks. I told PK after service that I took a risk that day by playing the country music we did, wasn't bad but don't want to make a habit out of it. Playing the acoustic was a bit different, felt like a fish out of water but managed. The action is alot different on a acoustic than an electric and by that I mean the strings aren't as close to the neck as those on my electric so I had to learn to push down alot harder. I'm thinking since we are doing a series that features country music we need to do a series that features some bone cruching, hair raising, ear splitting hard and heavy music, thats what I'm talking about. Flashing lights, smoke, explosions and so on yeah that would be cool. Youth was fun got to watch Narnia which I had not seen but it was good to just hang with both junior and senior high youth. After the movie we got challenged for a project for next week that has still got me messed up, can't wait to see how it turns out, I have a feeling it will be a huge blessing.

Here is yesterdays set list:

I Saw The Light - Alison Kraus version
Dixieland Delight (Instrumental during greeting)
Not To Us - Chris Tomlin
It Is You - Newsboys (We need to do this one more often)
Long Black Train - Josh Turner (Offering song)
Just As I Am - Daniel Baker
Let My Words Be Few - Matt Redman
Oh Praise Him - David Crowder Band*

5 comments:

Kris Sorensen said...

I will consider doing a series with some bone crushing, hair raising, ear splitting hard and heavy music. That is much more up my alley than Country Music.

"We will do anything, short of sin, to lead people to Jesus Christ!... and country music is walking awfully close that to that line ;-)

Derek Chalfant said...

Kris, I'm with you on that, we are walking the tight rope, but lives are being changed. Let's do an "In your face/this is the truth/no punches" kind of series, but then again that describes alot of the previous ones, I love this place.

bryan vickery said...

Speaking of walking the line, maybe we could go with some Johnny Cash next week? What do you think Mr. Versatile (aka DC aka electric/acoustic guitar player)?

Wait a sec... Pink singing Johnny Cash... maybe not.

Coby said...

I don't know, Bryan. I've heard Pink do impressions of Johnny Cash. He might be able to do it. lol.

I agree we need some heavier music in church. Can we? Can we? Pretty please? =]

Unknown said...

You guys pull a car in there with the mega-woofer going THUMP-THUMPTHUMP-THUMP and I'm crawling under the seats