Friday, May 18, 2007

Cool looking guitar


People are always coming up to me after service saying that my guitar is cool looking which I agree even if Tammy don't think so. She's the one that bought it for me. It was a christmas present a few years ago. I remember that day because she didn't sleep at all that night with the excitement of that gift. I woke up and came out and saw a big box in front of our chair and pretty much knew what was inside. I was all excited as I opened it up. Inside was a old green guitar bag with a guitar inside. I opened up the bag and found an old beat up guitar that was missing a few strings. I thought this is a start, I can fix it up and learn on it. As I was checking it out and she was asking "Is it allright, do you like it, will it work, etc..." Then she said why don't you throw your trash away in the trash can under the computer table.

As I went over to throw it away I noticed a Marshall practice amp and something else, my George Lynch Kamikaze guitar that I so proudly play still today. She used to think it was the ugliest thing but I think she's getting used to it. As I'm drooling over it she says turn it over, I turned it over and on the back she had it autographed by George. He was in Muncie a few months earlier doing a guitar clinic that I went to and had it there behind the counter for him to sign for me. It was probably back there when I was at the counter meeting him and I didn't even know it. She got me good with that one and we still laugh about it every once in a while.

George Lynch was and is a big influence on me playing wise allthough I haven't heard anything he has done in the past few years. For you who were around in the 80's George was the guitar player for my favorite band at that time Dokken. Other influences are John Petrucci from Dream Theater, Randy Rhoades who used to play with Ozzy before his death, Vinnie Moore, Eric Johnson and Tony Palacios from Guardian. All of those with the exception of Tony P. are "secular artists" and I really haven't listened to them much lately. For me playing on Sundays I would rather see people in total worship with God and really connecting than to play the coolest and best sounding solo ever. For me its all about God and not about me, I am just up there to help lead people in worship not "lead guitar." He has blessed me far beyond my imagination.

0 comments: